Sunday, June 1, 2014

Online teaching

So I am on week 2 of teaching my online SPAN 101 class. I will write more extensively about it when I finish the course, because so far I have mixed feelings about it. One positive thing is that I am finally learning some useful technology stuff (not technology for the sake of technology, but with pedagogical applications). Also, because my university changed from Blackboard to Canvas, I have been exploring its possibilities. Today, I learnt to create quizzes on Canvas and to apply rubrics to assignments! Laugh all you want, but I am very proud of myself. It was all self-taught!

4 comments:

  1. I really like Canvas. I heard that Blackboard is buying them. I hope that the Canvas platform sticks around though. It's so much better than BB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow..if what you heard is true, a lot of people is going to be really disappointed. Canvas has become the darling of the "progressive" sector of the ed tech community (whatever that means), and those advocating for alternative pedagogies. Canvas has promised repeatedly they would not be bought. On the other hand, it is a Mormon company. I don't see why they would behave differently than any other commercial company in this country.

      Delete
  2. I wish we had Canvas, and I totally get why you would have a feeling of accomplishment after setting up quizzes and rubrics in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. When we had Blackboard, I only used it to post course documents and post grades. Having learned a few tricks in Canvas (including how to set up quizzes), I can totally see myself incorporating it more to my F2F classes.

      Delete