Monday, February 20, 2012

This new crop of students looks promising

Today, after I finished my Civilization I class (and shocked 90% of the students showing Herzog's Aguirre), T., one of the best students in the class and only a freshman, approached me.

T.: "Professor, I need some suggestions"

Me: "About what?"

T.: "Latin American Marxist theorists"

Me: "Huhhh?"

T.: "Yes, my Modern Political and Social Thought class is too eurocentric. The professor thinks that intellectuals only come from Europe, so I want to write my final essay on Latin American Marxist Thought. You always say that Latin America has a great intellectual tradition, and I want to discover it"

He is coming to my office hours on Thursday. In the meantime, I'm frantically researching to come up with as many names as possible (I know quite a bit about it, but I'm a perfectionist). I told him I wanted to read his essay after he turned it in, and that he was free to ask me for advice on it as much as he wants.

If I can have 4 of them in every class, I'm the happiest prof in the world. And it looks like I may have an interesting student to watch grow and develop intellectually.

4 comments:

  1. This is the kind of student I live for. It's the best feeling in the world to have somebody like this in one's classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that happens to me I burst into tears of joy in front of the student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came close to that. It doesn't happen so often, but I two years ago I got a student to read (in English), because he wanted to, Rama's "La ciudad letrada" for his capstone project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete