Monday, January 2, 2012

The Versatile Blogger Award!

So, I'm back in the Midwest, finally able to resume regular posting!!!

Last Wednesday, after 4 days without accessing Internet, I logged in. I had a few posts ideas in mind: My two radically different Christmas experiences (Thai restaurant and Mexican-American family within two hours), Why I find very hard to have female friends (related to different definitions of friendship) and Academic journals for scholars in my field (it will come up pretty soon). I checked an Argentinean newspaper, and found out that our president, Cristina Kirchner had been diagnosed with cancer (luckily, a curable form of thyroid cancer). That added another possible topic to write on. And then, I went to Clarissa's blog, where I saw that she had nominated me for The Versatile Blogger Award! Since she assured me that there was no deadline to write the post, here it is, a little later than usual.


Here are the conditions of the award:
1) Nominate 15 fellow bloggers
2) Inform the Bloggers of their nomination
3) Share 7 random things about yourself
4) Thank the blogger who nominated you
5) Post the award badge.



I don't think I will be able to nominate 15 fellow bloggers, not because I don't read enough blogs or because the ones I read are not wonderful, but because I tend to read focused blogs: political blogs, academic blogs, etc.  So here are the ones that I nominate:

1) Miriam Mogilevsky, from Brute Reason.  A 20 year-old blogger, a junior at Northwestern University, Miriam writes about feminism, her struggles with depression, her education, and many other topics. Her voice is unique. Not only does she write beautifully, but her posts are always tough-provoking and go against the grain. I hope she keeps blogging for a long time.

2) Renee, from Womanist Musings. This will probably come as a surprise to her, since I've never commented on her blog. But I read it faithfully. When I first discovered it, the phrase "I am a committed humanist" in the description of herself won me over. But she is much more than that. She is a woman of color, a pacifist and an anti-racist. She writes about feminism, race issues, politics and GLBT affairs. Her posts are insightful and brilliant.

3) FeMOMhist. Though technically the blog is an exploration of what it means to be a mother, an academic and a feminist, FeMOMhist has extended her reach beyond this goal. Her history posts from October 2011 are a classic that everybody should read. And her fashion taste is impeccable.

4) Didion, from Feminema. Films, TV shows, popular culture, feminism and, occasionally, academia. Enough said. After watching Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I was going to write a post on it. Until I saw Didion's discussion on the film, and there was nothing I could add to it (except that I like Daniel Craig better than she does).

So, 7 random things about myself:

1) As any regular teenager, I did my share of things behind my parents' back. Throughout the years, I told them most of them. The only thing I've never confessed was that for a 3 year period, I would go to see soccer games at the stadium almost every week. My parents never allowed me to go, because they thought it was too dangerous. It wasn't then, but it is now, so what's the point in scaring them?

2) The worst date of my life was in Argentina. I went out for a beer and a movie with a former co-worker. We had always flirted while we were working together. We ran into each other a year later, and he invited me out for a movie and a beer. He turned out to be a filo-nazi that collected Nazi memorabilia.

3) When I was 12, I had read every Agatha Christie book ever published (I think they were around 80).

4) I got my driver's license for the first time when I was 32 years old
.
5) The thing I like the most about living in the Midwest is the beer. Argentine beer is awful. My current city is a paradise.

6) I am subscribed to Lucky Magazine and Glamour

7) I hate pot. Not out of moral reasons, but because it makes me paranoid. Go figure.

6 comments:

  1. awwwww thanks so much, and glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. You deserve it, you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the praise! And that sounds like a horrendous date indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah... Thankfully, in Buenos Aires, you can just say take off. Public transportation is great, so you do not depend on whether you have a car or not to get out of a bad situation (see point 4). I guess it's not a coincidence that the movie we watched was "Gladiator". I've hated Russell Crowe ever since that day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for this! and what a good idea this Versatile Blogger thing is. It made me look hard at my RSS feed and think about everyone I love. My only regret: not nominating you again.

    much love
    Feminema

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it's a great idea, and I've been discovering new blogs just from the answers (many blogs don't have a blogroll).
    love, SP

    ReplyDelete